Monday, September 25, 2006

No countries protested the executions

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian government has so far received no protest or objection from any friendly country over the execution on September 22 of three Indonesians sentened to death for inciting violence in the eastern Indonesian town of Poso in 2000, a senior Foreign Ministry official said. Some of the countries had only expressed concern about the event, the ministry`s secretary general, Imron Cottan, said on Monday. The decision to execute the three death-row convicts was made by an agency outside the government so the government could not meddle in it, he said. Asked whether it was true that certain people would stage a rally outside the Indonesian embassy in Rome, he said he had yet to receive such a report. He added, however, everybody had the right to stage a rally to express disappointment at something, provided the rally did not disrupt the embassy`s performance as Indonesia was protected by the Vienna Convention. Fabianus Tibo, Dominggus da Silva and Marianus Riwu died in front of a police firing squad at Poboyo village in south Palu, Central Sulawesi. Some circles have expressed regret at the executions. In reaction, Vice President Jusuf Kalla asked the public not to link the executions to a certain religion or ethnic group, stressing the case was a purely legal matter.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home