Thursday, September 21, 2006

Families still haven't been notified of executions

This is absolutely ridiculous and gutless on the part of the Indonesian government. This demonstrates how poorly handled this case has been right from the beginning and how inept the Indonesian government is at handling anything internally. Need I mention the PT Lapindo environmental disaster in East Java still not resolved and natural disaster relief in general here in Indonesia?

Palu (ANTARA News) - The family of three death row convicts Fabianus Tibo, Marianus Riwu and Dominggus da Siva had yet to receive official information about the imminent execution of the trio, Central Sulawesi Christian Church (GKST) Synod chairman Rev. Rinaldy Damanik said here on Thursday. "As of 10.30 a.m. local time, neither has the GKST Synod nor Tibo et al`s families received official information about their execution," Damanik said. Damanik admitted that he had just contacted Tibo`s eldest son, Robertus Tibo, but the latter said he had not received any information. He added that the execution of Tibo et all would be illegal if it was carried out as scheduled without any information letter to their families. Meanwhile, Robert Bala Keitimu, one of the trio`s lawyers from the Indonesian Justice and Peace Advocacy Service (Padma), said in Batam on Wednesday that the families of the three death row convicts had so far not received any official information on the date of the execution from the Palu District Court. "We knew from the media that Tibo and his friends are to be executed but have so far not received any official information from the Palu District Court," Robert said. The lawyer added that the Tibo et al case should be reopened to uncover the involvement of 16 other men in the Poso conflict a few years ago. Testimony from Tibo and his two friends was the key to unveil the mystery behind the riots which the government appeared to want to cover up. Rallies against the execution were stated in several places across the country. In the industrial island of Batam on Wednesday, some 50 Flores community figures expressed strong opposition to the planned execution of Poso death row convicts Fabianus Tibo et al.
Tibo and his two associates - Marianus Riwu and Dominggus da Silva, who were sentenced to death for atrocities in the sectarian conflict in the Central Sulawesi town of Poso in 2000, according to unconfirmed reports are to face a firing squad after midnight on Friday. "We reject the planned execution. If it is carried out, there will be no more reason to maintain the integrity of the Unitary State of the Indonesian Republic (NKRI) because it will then have become clear it is difficult to find justice in this country," said Angelinus, one of the Flores community figures. The bishop of Atambua in East Nusa Tenggara province, Anton Pain Ratu SVD, on Thursday led thousands of people in Belu district in a street rally to reject the planned execution of Fabianus Tibo, Dominggus da Silfa and Marianus Riwu. Father Gories Am, secretary of the Inter-religion Leaders Cooperation Forum in Belu district and Timor Tengah Utara district, when contacted by phone from Kupang, confirmed that the rally had taken place. Unconfirmed reports had earleir said Tibo et al would face a firing squad on Thursday (Sept 21) or early Friday. According to Gories, about 10,000 people of different religions had since 8 am (local time) gathered in Atambua`s town square. They later headed to the Atambua prosecutor`s office where Anton Pain and leaders of other religions prayed for Tibo and his two friends.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home