Saturday, September 30, 2006

Bali security stepped up before bombing anniversary

BALI (AP): Hundreds of Indonesian police were deployed at beaches and tourist spots on Bali island Saturday ahead of the first anniversary of the al-Qaida-linked suicide bombings that killed 20 people.
Tourists were expected to flock to two beaches on Sunday to remember those who died in the Oct. 1, 2005, attacks on three bustling restaurants.
"We want to make sure that mourners who come to Bali to commemorate the event are safe," said Sr. Comr. Antonius Reniban, a spokesman for the island's police force.
Reniban said hundreds of police, many of them in plain clothes, had been deployed.
Last year's near-simultaneous attacks on Kuta and Jimbaran beaches occurred on the busiest night of the week, killing four Australians, one Japanese and 15 Indonesians.
Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, has been hit by a string of terrorist attacks in recent years blamed on the al-Qaida-linked militant group Jemaah Islamiyah. More than240 people have died, many of them foreign tourists.
Indonesia has arrested or convicted more than 150 militants in recent years, and last November killed Jemaah Islamiyah's chief bomb-making expert. But security experts say the group is still capable of carrying out attacks.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home