Tuesday, September 19, 2006

And another update

Palu (ANTARA News) - The three Poso death row convicts, Fabianus Tibo, Marianus Riwu and Dominggus da Silva, will be executed by a firing squad just after midnight on Friday, a clergyman said. Pastor Jemy Tumbelaka, the three convicts 'spiritual counsel', told ANTARA News here on Tuesday the date of the execution was decided in a coordination meeting at the Palu police headquarters on Monday night. The meeting was attended by Palu Police Chief Adjunct Senior Commissioner Atrial, Palu District Court chief Muhammad Basri Akib and Pastor Tumbelaka. "The execution will be conducted after midnight on Friday," Father Tubelaka said. Meanwhile, Tibo`s lawyer, Roy Rening, said the warrant for the execution on Friday this week was conveyed to Tibo et al at midnight on Monday. "Practically, the execution is to be carried out three days after the warrant was issued," Roy Rening said. However, Tibo and his two friends had refused to sign a document acknowledging receipt of the warrant because they were in the process of using a second opportunity to request pardon from President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono. "My clients refused to sign the docuemnt because they had filed a second request for clemency from the President," Roy Rening said. A reliable source said on condition of anonymity on Tuesday that the three men on death row were on Monday put in isolation cells at the Petobo jail on Jalan Dewi Sartika here on Monday pending their execution. "Fabianus Tibo, Dominggus da Silva, and Marianus Riwu have been in isolation since Monday noon so nobody but special officials and spiritual counsel can meet the death row convicts," the source said. According to the source, Tibo et al were isolated a few moments after Palu District Court official, M Basri Akib, held a closed-door coordination meeting with the chief of the Petobo jail, Jhony Priyatmo. "At the time of the meeting, the three convicts were herded into a room where they could have been given the warrant for their execution," the source said. However, all related officials here were tight-lipped and managed to elude newsmen who would like to get information about the time of the execution. Moments before the three convicts were about to face a firing squad on August 11 at a secret location here, the National Police Chief Gen Sutanto announced that the execution was again postponed until after August 17.
Asked about the basic consideration for the delay, the National Police chief said the reason was August 17 commemoration of Indonesian independence anniversary, and nothing else. However, he said the execution would be carried out later because it had been decided by a court. "It is a matter of time. The court has decided that the execution should be carried out," Sutanto said, adding that the exact time of the execution was the responsibility of the Central Sulawesi police in accordance with the existing law. A series of appeals from the three have been rejected by courts at all levels, twice at the Supreme Court, since they first received the death sentences in 2001. Last year President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono rejected their petition for a pardon. Last March, local and international Catholic groups asked Yudhoyono to reconsider his stance on the death sentences against the three men but there had been no indication he would intervene. Sectarian clashes raged in Central Sulawesi`s Poso region from late 1998 to 2001, killing 2,000 people before a peace accord was concluded.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home